Saturday, March 1, 2014

Here We Go!


I have followed many bloggers who participate in the Slice of Life challenge, and I have picked up many great ideas from the blogs I read and follow. I am not “new” to blogging. I started a book review blog to share with my middle school students as part of a Google apps course I took this past summer.

It's easy for me to write for my students and share the books that I love with them. It's easy for me to write emails to my colleagues and 

But writing a blog about my life that strangers might read? That colleagues might skim? What if people read it? What will people think about what I have to say? What if I don’t have anything worthwhile to say? What if people don’t like what I have to say? What if people DON’T read it?

I follow many education blogs: Read, Write, Reflect; Two Writing Teachers and Book Whisperer, to name a few. Those teachers who put themselves out there blogging about education seem to have one thing in common…they started blogging for themselves, because they needed to get their words out of their heads and into the world. However, it is clear by their posts that their blogging has affected their students in ways that make me envious of what it must be like to be a student in their classrooms, to be a colleague in their school.

We ask our students to take daily risks in our classrooms. When I see my classes next, I want to be able to tell them that I am taking risks, too. I want to be able assure them that what I am asking them to do is nothing less than I ask of myself, and that I empathize with their struggles as writers because I am struggling, too.


So, here we go. Deep breath. I’m going to take the Slice of Life Challenge. Bring it on!

1 comment:

  1. I really love this, particularly this line: "They started blogging for themselves, because they needed to get their words out of their heads and into the world." There is so much strength and power in our reflections. Welcome to the SOLSC!

    ReplyDelete